Tuesday, October 6, 2015

The Whale Rider


The movie is based on the Maori tale of Paikea, The Whale Rider. The movie is rich with cultural representation. The Maori believed that above all nature gives life, and in the movie Paikea is never seen with shoes on. As funny as this sounds, not wearing shoes to lots of cultures to show either respect or to bring yourself closer to Earth is really common. Some people believe that when you walk barefoot, you are letting Earth pass its energy to you and you pass your energy to Earth. The director even made a point in showing after Pai's first concert everyone left their shoes outside and then we see them putting their shoes back on outside. For me, I also see this as a form of respect. Since Pai is Maori, for her to be shoeless most of the time can be her connecting to Earth, but also giving respect to the earth as well. 



From the movie I can infer that the Maori view men as the only ones that can be leaders. In the movie Pai is often told she can't do certain things, like train with the boys. Her grandfather took the task of training the first born boys to be the chief that their people needed. The grandfather believed that it was Pai's birth that brought the distress and it was his job to fix it. Pai kept trying to prove herself and to get her grandfather to let her train, but he would not hear of it. In the end, it is found out that a group of whales have beached themselves and when Pai tried to help she was told by her grandfather that she need to go away because she had done enough, meaning he thought it was her fault that they beached. Pai then takes it upon herself to ride the whale back into the ocean saying that she is not afraid to die. Pai is willing to give her life for the approval of her grandfather. 




My response to this film is emotional. This is a story that can be seen and interpreted across many cultures. The story is, one feels they are not good enough for their family and they keep getting metaphorically knocked down when they try and prove themselves, then in the end they either die or come close before their family or family member finally accepts them. Pai came close to losing her life and it took that before her grandfather would actually accept her and treat her life he would treat one of the boys in the tribe. The ending is debated on if Pai died or not, and I like to believe that she was lucky and because she was doing something of the tribe, her ancestors protected her and made sure she came out alive. 



11 comments:

  1. I love how you mention that this film is rich with culture. It is awesome to see a film embrace a culture and do it right! I felt like this film really gave us an idea about Maori culture. I like the comment about the shoes. I would have never guess cultures do this to feel closer to the Earth, however it makes sense and that scene had me wondering. I, as an optimistic person, have to agree that she lived. I want to believe the unconditional love she had for her culture and Grandfather ultimately allowed her to live. However, I can see where she would have been sacrificing herself for the Maori culture.
    -Christina Sieb

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, I like how you mentioned the piece about wearing shoes and being barefoot. I noticed it throughout the film, but I did not take much time to interpret it. I just assumed it was a form of respect in the culture. However, I like how you talk about being barefoot as a way for the Earth to transfer its energy to you and for you to pass your's through the Earth. It is such a beautiful way to interpret just being barefoot.

    I also like how you analyzed the end of the movie. I know that there is a debate on whether Pai is alive or dead. I like to believe that she lived. I really like how you incorporated the Maori ancestors into her having survived. The culture's ancestors were a large part of the film, so I think that your inclusion of them into the debate of her death uses good reasoning.

    Haley Williams

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an outstanding post. You make extensive use of your knowledge of New Zealand, Maori culture, and folk tales to reflect on many details of the plot. You also analyze the visual style of the movie, and point to patterns (such as the bare feet). You use your observations and contextual knowledge to reflect on themes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoy your blog !! I like the use of color especialy. Your post on The Whale Rider is very extensive and shows your understanding of the Maori culture. I like how you analyze the girls death at the end. I'm still not sure what stance I take on her life, but your points are very thought provoking.

    Excellent.

    - Lauren Checker

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome post! Like other posters before me, I love the stance (pun intended) you took on the the symbolism of the bare feet. It's an interesting point to make. You also took full advantage of the Maori's historical background, thereby making a case for how she MIGHT have lived (though I tend to lean the other way, me being the nihilistic person that I am).

    -- Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also liked that you talked more in depth about why the Maori people walk around barefoot. As you have said many cultures do this. I think it was interesting that the Maori people believe spirits can be passed from the earth to them and they can transfer their spirit to the earth. This post was very insightful.

    -Katie

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "The movie is rich with cultural representation." It sure is! I am currently taking the indigenous people course with John Savagian and I see this everytime I go to class and talk about indigenous people. They portrait their culture through their language, chants, way of living, and costums just how it is shown in this movie. I also enjoyed that you really focused on the fact that they walk bare footed to not only make a connection with the earth but to show respect. This reminded me about how important land is to indigenous people as it is not only part of their culture but also part of their souls.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really am awed and interested in what you commented and analyzed on the tradition based on being barefoot. I really like how you comment about being barefoot means being closer to earth. I appreciate that you talk about being barefoot in relation to this movie. Same has everyone else, I noticed the barefoot but did not took the time to analyze it too well as what you did. To me, in my culture, being barefoot means something else. Thus with your comment on the barefoot, it also has help me to compare and reflect to my own culture as well. -Kazoua Lor

    ReplyDelete