Monday, September 21, 2015

The Game Of Thrones

For a screen shot I picked the scene from Game of Thrones where Daenerys Targaryen (Khaleesi) has just become the Mother of Dragons. I thought this camera angle was interesting because at this point in the show she is already a queen and the camera seems to be looking down on her with her looking up. Compared to other shots in the show with King Joffery or the Regent Queen Cersei Lannister all the camera angles seem to be looking right at or from under them giving that sense of importance. In the show Daenerys had never been overly pompous like the Lannisters so I think with this angle the director was trying to show that yes she did just become the mother of the first dragons the realm has seen in a long time, but she is still humble. 

5 comments:

  1. Oh your post gave me chills. First I love Daenerys and this was an amazing scene. I also thought your comments about how the camera angle suggested her humility, in contrast to the other characters, was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren,

    The photo you used for your camera shot is extremely breathtaking. I have not seen this show or movie, but I am so interested in watching it now! I enjoy film movements where the subject is the focus, and it seems that this show has a lot of that which is awesome. Also, it's pretty interesting how they made the character look. It reminds me of the current trend where young women are coloring their hair gray, and white. Definitely will look into this! :D

    Jessica Alvarado

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a really interesting point about showing character just by camera angle. I like that you compared it to how other characters were shot in the show and how it's kind of symbolic.
    -Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  4. To be honest, I've never seen this show but I totally agree with you. By placing the camera above a character, one it's portraying the character's empowerment and importance just like how it's being shown here. I also see Khaleesi's humbleness not through the camera angle but through her appearance and the look on her face. For example, she is not wearing a fancy dress or something like that, but she's rather covered in dirt which could represent the familiarity she has with the dragons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To be honest, I've never seen this show but I totally agree with you. By placing the camera above a character, one it's portraying the character's empowerment and importance just like how it's being shown here. I also see Khaleesi's humbleness not through the camera angle but through her appearance and the look on her face. For example, she is not wearing a fancy dress or something like that, but she's rather covered in dirt which could represent the familiarity she has with the dragons.

    ReplyDelete